Please check back in May for the 2020 application
Volunteer at the African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease!
The volunteer application period has ended for 2019. Applications closed on August 20, 2019. You can still attend the congress by registering before the Special Discount and Early-bird registration period end.
We are searching for volunteers to participate in the African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease. This is YOUR chance to play a central role in a major international event.
The African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease (ACSCD 2019) will be taking place at the Landmark Center from October 31 – November 2, 2019 in Lagos, Nigeria.
The ACSCD 2019 will be a great time and an exciting opportunity for all interested in sickle cell. To make the Conference a great success, we depend heavily on the support of Volunteers from approximately 40 – 80 with good English language skills during the week of Oct 28 – Nov 2 2019.
Volunteers for the ACSCD 2019 will be the first contact for many of the attendees. They will help coordinate program activities, greet visiting delegates, assist with registration, act as guides during the conference, staff various offices and activities, and perform other crucial tasks. Their critical role will be to welcome local & foreign participants and to foster a spirit of helpfulness and hospitality.
To volunteer you must be at least 18 years old (as of 28th October 2019)
We would very much appreciate your assistance in helping to make this Conference a positive and memorable experience for all our visitors. Please circulate and publicize our call for volunteers, as appropriate, through your institutions and social media pages.
Frequently Asked Questions and Terms of Engagement:
Why should you volunteer?
This is a great opportunity to be part of an international meeting, with exposure to SCD experts from around the world, connect and meet other volunteers, and to meet inspiring people from all walks of life. Volunteers also receive free access to conference sessions when not on duty and a lunch each working day.
- Unique opportunity to make a contribution to the community
- Get an insider’s view of being part of an event
- Gain useful job experience and satisfaction
- Meet like-minded people as well as the leading medical experts in the fields of sickle cell disease and haematology
- Identify possibilities for personal skills development
- Strengthen your CV
In return for volunteer services the ACSCD 2019 gladly offers the following benefits:
- Complimentary food & beverage during volunteer shifts, including evening social events
- Complimentary admission to the Conference for the days/times you do not work
- A Certificate of Participation
You are required to:
- Commit to at least one 7-hour shift on two consecutive days (total of 14 hours)
- Agree to wear black shoes, pants/skirt and a Volunteer T-Shirt (Shirt provided by the Conference)
- Speak fluent English
- Attend a mandatory training session on Tuesday, October 29 (not applicable if you only sign up for the Conference Bag preparation on October 25 and 26)
|Call for Volunteers
|July 20, 2019
|August 20, 2019
|September 16, 2019
|September 23, 2019
Upon confirmation of your availability, you will be provided with a volunteer training manual in September. This manual will outline the responsibilities associated with your assigned role(s) and your scheduled volunteer shift(s). Please make sure that you are available for the training session, scheduled for Tuesday, October 29 from 14:00 – 18:00 to ensure you are confident with the facility, the team and the Conference itself.
Positions will be assigned based on location, qualification and in order of applications received. All interested persons should contact the Conference Regional Coordinator for Nigeria, Maureen Nwachi, at email@example.com for more information. We look forward to your participation in this unique scientific event. Thank you for your support!