Overcoming Sickle Cell Disease
Dr. SickleCell is pleased to announce the 2nd African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease: Working To Overcome Sickle Cell Disease – What Next?.
Following the cancellation of the onsite ACSCD meeting in Abuja due to the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are pleased to announce that the 2nd African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease is shifting to a virtual meeting with the goal of providing an engaging and meaningful experience for those who had expected to attend. We are grateful for your patience and support as we transform our Meeting into a new opportunity. The success of our virtual congress will depend on all of us working together and creating a common space – and purpose – as we build a dynamic, interactive, and inclusive congress.
The 2nd ACSCD will be hosted on a virtually rich online platform geared to provide a truly immersive experience that will enable sponsors, exhibitors and attendees to network and engage with exhibitors directly on the virtual booths and with fellow delegates around topics of interest and listen to speakers virtually.
With over 350 participants and high level delegates, the 2019 Inaugural Congress was a major success and we are excited to convene again for the 2nd African Congress on Sickle Cell Disease (Virtual).
The main objective of this congress is to provide a platform to enhance the understanding of the current state of sickle cell in Africa, the challenges and opportunities building on the experiences of key actors in the Africa region as well as other regions of the world, and to collectively explore and discover innovative approaches and best practices for effective sickle cell control.
The objectives of the congress are:
- Provide a platform for a wide range of stakeholders to exchange on the current status and future perspectives of SCD
- Identify ways to raise the profile of SCD as a global health priority and to articulate the essential elements on a continental strategy to increase awareness, resource mobilizing and cross-border partnerships
- To explore the effects and outcomes of Universal Health Coverage on SCD
- To promote ways of accelerating the implementation of policies for the attainment of SDG target 3
- Mobilize a broader base of stakeholders in support of prevention and control measures across Africa and beyond.
The Congress brings together government representatives, inter-governmental organizations , leaders of industry, civil society, academic institutions, donors, the private sector, media and people living with sickle cell themselves from across Africa and rest of the world with aligned interest in exploring sustainable solutions to the challenges of sickle cell disease and also individuals and organizations who are committed to not just the patient/caregiver experience, but also committed to overcoming sickle cell disease in Africa.
The overall goal of the conference is to facilitate active exchange of information among scientists, researchers, policy makers and other key stakeholders, to highlight challenges and opportunities, and enhance strategies to further sickle cell control.
As we establish the event as the foremost inclusive conference on sickle cell disease in the region, we will: Influence the post 2020 Sickle Cell Disease Framework in Africa and guide innovation for control and action at a national and regional level.
The 2021 Congress is structured around 6 Sub-themes:
- Sickle Cell Prevention – Advancing Newborn Screening & Early Detection
- Sickle Cell Diagnosis, Complications and Treatment – Addressing barriers & Inequality in Sickle Cell Care
- Maximizing Quality of Life – Empowering Patients & Caregivers
- Advocacy, Policies and Enabling Sustainable Outcomes of Healthcare Systems
- Cross-sector Partnering and Building Capacities – Raising funds & Attracting Resources
- Covid-19 and Sickle Cell Disease – What Do We Know
Core Congress Dates
25 May – 29 May 2021
The Opening Ceremony will take place virtually on Wednesday, 26 May 2021.
ACSCD 2021 will also feature a virtual exhibition experience in conjunction with the Congress. Attendees are invited to visit the virtual exhibition booths which will be open all day long Tuesday, 25 May 2021 until Saturday, 29 May 2021. Final opening hours will be included in the Congress Program.
ACSCD 2021 offers a range of commercial and non-commercial sponsorship opportunities for interested partners/sponsors. Visit the sponsor section of the ACSCD Website to access the sponsorship prospectus. For further information regarding sponsorship and exhibition opportunities, please contact the Congress Secretariat: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congress materials will be available for download on the congress official website and at designated areas on the Virtual Congress Platform.
ACSCD 2021 Communication
ACSCD 2021 will communicate news items through several channels before and during the Congress, such as the ACSCD Mailing List, a pre-Congress newsletter and social media. During the Congress, Twitter will be the main channel for Congress news: www.twitter.com/acscd_conf